Maria Chelysheva’s father went to fetch some potatoes from the basement. When he didn’t return, her mom went to fetch him. When she didn’t come back, the young girl’s brother went to see what the matter was. He too failed to return.
Shortly thereafter, Maria’s grandmother, Iraida, 68, called a neighbour to say there was something suspicious and pleaded for help but also went into the basement before anyone arrived. Her fate was the same as the others.
When her grandmother went in, she had left the door open.
Young Maria went looking for her family after they did not return. When Maria entered the cellar, she found the bodies of her whole family on the cellar floor.
The only thing that saved her from the same fate was that when her grandmother went in, she had left the door open, giving the gas a chance to dissipate.
Which type of gas and what I am talking about whose story it is?
This is a real story that had happened in Laishevo, a town near Kazan, in the Russian republic of Tatarstan.
“The whole family died of gas poisoning which had accumulated in the basement as a result of badly rotting potatoes”
So What should everybody know?
That the Rotten potatoes are toxic to humans. They contain compounds called glycoalkaloids. As potatoes rot, their glycoalkaloids concentration goes up and they transmute into a deadly gas.
When Maria’s family entered the cellar with the rotten potatoes, they all died because it was full of toxic gas.
So whenever you see this type of potatoes in your home, don’t just think throw them out as soon as possible. And if you have stored heavy amount of potatoes in your basement do regular check. I understand that Potatoes are one of the most delicious foods on the planet and can be used to make some amazing dishes…but but.. if you’re not careful, If you have bought a bag of potatoes and let them sit for too long in your basement, they can literally kill you.
Source of the story: