Looking at the current squad of India for Summer Olympic, double figure medal tally still seems as far fetched . Last Olympic medal winner Mary Kom is out and Sushil is also highly unlikely to play.But their are always surprise packages in every Olympics. Recokning on them, it’s not impossible to achieve double medal tally. Looking at the form of Indian squad and gambling on some dark horses, here is my medal expectations
- Archery:- Currently 3 women and 1 men are in indian squad of archery. All three women are in very good form, specially Deepika Kumari who recently equaled the world record. They will participate both as individual and team category. I am hoping 2 medals from them atleast looking at their current form. I am not saying m considering men as completely out of race (whose name is yet to declared) but probability is less. Total expectation :- 2 Medals
- Athletics:- India never won a medal in Athletics. This time 19 canditates 10 men and 9 women have qualified, highest ever. But looking at the fact that most of them are just qualified with barely crossing the qualification criteria, we can’t expect much from them. My money is on Tintu Luka and Vikas Gowda. I am expecting atleast 2 medal from the squad of 19. Total expectation :- 2 Medals
- Badminton:- Badminton squad is very strong, PV Sandhu and Saina are strong contender. 7 players qualified in total in 4 events. I am expecting atleast 1 medal from them as hoping too much can disappoint you and if they win more, it will be like bonus in happiness. Total expectation :- 1 Medals
- Boxing:- Boxing squad is a disappointment. Only 1 player qualified. I am not expecting any medal.
- Field Hockey:- After missing out last Olympic, men have qualified this time. They are looking in good form and you can expect atleast a bronze from them. M not expecting any medal from women squad. Total expectation :- 1 Medals
- Gymnastics:- It is first qualification ever in this event. Deepa is in good form and did good in recent time. But m not expecting any medal from her because even qualification in this event was a milestone. She has caliber, it’s not good to expect too much from her.
- Judo:– Only 1 qualification in Judo. I am not expecting too much from Judo.
- Rowing:– 1 qualification from Rowing in individual event. Not a good probability to win.
- Shooting:- shooting so far is the event with most medals after hockey. This time 12 candidates in 11 events have qualified so far. Most big names are on the dawn of their career and wanted to finish it in memorable way. I am expecting atleast 3 medals from this squad. Total expectation :- 3 Medals
- Table Tennis:– Total qualification is 4 in 2 event. I am not expecting much from them looking at their world ranking.
- Lawn Tennis:– 4 member squad of doubles both men and women is declared in tennis.Mixed double squad is yet to be declared. Sania and Leander Paes are in great form. I am expecting atleast 1 medal from Tennis. Total expectation :- 1 Medal
- WeightLifting:– 2 players, 1 men and 1 women are qualified for this Olympic. I am not expecting much on record but hoping atleast 1 from them as many times in past they surprised in Big events.
- Wrestling:- 8 players have qualified for wrestling. Sushil kumar’s name is not yet decided. I am expecting atleast one medal from Yogeshwar dutt and atleast one from rest of the 7. Total expectation :- 2 Medals
Here is what I am expecting from current Olympic squad:- 12 medals in total 13 categories from 96 players. This tally is double then last Olympics. But we have to keep in mind that compare to last year, our squad for Olympic is increased by more than 20. Hope for the best. Good luck India